Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image Demo image

Friday 27 April 2012

X is for Kiss?

X is often found in friendly and amorous correspondence next to O. In XOXO, X represents a kiss and O represents a hug. The first recorded use of this term for affection was in 1765.
It comes from times when people couldn’t read or write, so couldn’t sign their name. They would be required to kiss the ring of a priest and then write their mark, which would be an X, which was the way they were saying they had made the mark in the presence of God. So X became synonymous with kisses.

Till next time X 

4 comments:

  1. Is THAT where it comes from? I never even thought to find out on my own!!! Thanks for the history lesson! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Law and Order - Criminal Intent! Great show...and a very creepy movie I saw very long ago. While the title escapes me at the moment, I'll never forget the overalls and uneasy feeling it gave me. Looking forward to following this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that, Bev! SO interesting!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, JoJo inspired me to come visit your blog to find out the meaning of XOXO as I did the same. Nice history lesson,thanks you! :)

    ReplyDelete